In the ancient world Praiano was known as "Pelagium" (open sea) and like other places along the coast, its splendid landscape lured it for Roman Emperors and wealthy men to its shores during the first century AC.
The town faces an archipelago made up of three islands collectively known as "Li Galli" or "Sirenuse". Starting around 1300 to 1400, the hard-working people of this region specialized in the production of linen, hair nets, anchovies packed in salt, weaving palms during the Easter period and coral objects (artisans working with coral were easy to recognize because of the earrings they wore, an antique Saracen tradition).
Hospitality services available in Praiano harmonize perfectly with the landscape and the white houses that once belonged to fishermen.
Do not forget to visit the church of St. Luca the Evangelist, dedicated to the Patron of Praiano, in elegant baroque style, the Church of St Gennaro Bishop and Martyr, the Church and Monastery of St Maria a Castro, located on the mountain called St. Angelo a Tre Pizzi which stands 360 m and the defensive towers.
(Images & text: copyright www.localidautore.it - www.sunland.it - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED)